Monday, April 26, 2010

Being eaten and trampled and finally giving in


<span class=

So as of right now, My boys are 2.583 yrs and 3.548 months old...lol! I can't believe Jayson will be 4 months old in 2 weeks.

<span class=
Jayson

<span class=
Hayden

Those are just some cute pictures I took in our backyard area. They have on cute big brother/little brother shirts! I love them both so much!

My Garden Update

So I got my straw bales on April 13th.


My seeds were busting out of the peat things they were planted in. They looked GREAT!

After only 9 days

I then proceeded to add the potting soil to the top of the bales. I watered and watered just like everything told me to. I then planted a few of each plant, the healthiest ones, in the bales after a week of watering. Then, I went to bed. Little did I know most of my plants would be eaten by this little puppy. I did not originally have the fences up. They were a certainly a good investment.


<span class=
Brady, The Plant Eater


After 3 or 4 days of battling dying plants, a dog and cats walking on my bales, I caved on one side of the garden. I bought big plants. They weren't too expensive but still money I didn't want to spend.

<span class=
Side 1 that I had to buy big plants for since everything else was eaten
Tomatoes (Roma and Big Boy), Green Beans, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Eggplant, Acorn Squash, and Cucumbers

<span class=
Side 2 part 1
Sugar Snap Peas, Sweet Onions, Watermelon

<span class=
Side 2 part 2
Pumpkin, Basil, Anaheim Chili, Broccoli, Cauliflower,

<span class=
Sugar Snap Peas


Out of everything, including the already growing plants, my sugar snap peas are doing the BEST! I don't really know why either. I guess that they are just the happiest.

Right now I am currently battling the acorn squash. In the morning it is fine. When the sun comes around it looks dead and then after I water a little better. I don't get it. It is supposed to be a warm weather plant and it has been between 70-85 degrees since I planted it. I will keep you posted.

After the Brady fiasco, I replanted seeds and thought they weren't growing since it only took 6 days the last time when they were inside. That's another reason I bought the potted plants. Now about 4 days after digging into the bales(which I have to Thank Brad so much for) to plant them, I have cucumbers, yellow and green squash, lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower sprouting!!!!!! Now all I am waiting on is the cilantro, corn, Swiss chard, butternut squash, romaine lettuce, carrots and watermelons to sprout. It seems daunting but it should be soon. I might even need 2 more bales while I have this HHR rental.


Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment